The High School Intern Program (HIP) application for summer 2022 is now open!
Deadline: Friday, February 11th, 11:59pm
At the present time, we are planning for the summer 2022 High School Intern Program to run in-person. This plan may change at any time in order to adhere to SF County guidlines or UCSF’s COVID safety protocols.
As a HIP intern, you can expect to:
- Participate in an 8-week paid internship. Interns have two options:
- Work part time (~25 hours/week) and receive a stipend of $3200 upon program completion OR
- Work full time (~35 hours/week) and receive a stipend of $4500 upon program completion. This opportunity is specific to interns conducting stem cell research; programmatic components related to that work are completed in the additional weekly hours.
- Conduct biomedical science research alongside a scientist who is your day-to-day mentor and teacher. Examples of past research topics include: infectious disease, neuroscience, molecular biology, immunology, cancer, stem cell research, and developmental biology
- Develop science communication skills
- Build your professional network through interactions with scientists and others at UCSF
- Build community with a cohort of 25 High School Interns
- Participate in College Counseling supports including:
- Writing workshops to develop a personal statement for use in college applications
- Individual meetings with our college counselor to review transcripts and learn about colleges
- Financial aid information for you and your family
- College tours
- Application due Friday, February 11th
- February: HIP staff review applications
- March: Students selected for interviews
- April: Students selected for internship
- June: Program begins
It made me believe that I love science, no matter what, after doubting my talent in this field.
Who are we looking for?
If you can answer “YES” to any of these questions, this program might be for you!
Are you unsure about pursuing science in your future and you want to spend your summer learning more?
Will this provide an opportunity to you that you would not have access to otherwise?
Have you faced challenges that have prevented you from meeting some of your goals for yourself?
We aren’t just looking for students who have the best grades or have accomplished the most. In fact, we don’t ask you for your grades or GPA as part of your application. Instead, our objective is that your experience in this program is likely to make a difference in your life. We focus on potential and opportunity. In selecting students, we want to know that our program can make a meaningful and impactful difference in each student’s life.
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions for other details!
*HOW TO APPLY*
Click each button below for more information about each required component of the application.
Deadline to apply is Friday, February 11th by 11:59pm
Letter of Recommendation
Have questions or want support preparing your application? Join us for a virtual drop-in session! All sessions take place from 4pm to 5pm on Zoom and you can join any time during the hour. Use the button below to register for one of the optional sessions. Be sure to give us a personal (not school) email address so we can email you the zoom link.