The 2021 High School Intern Program (HIP) will be entirely virtual.
Program dates: June 7, 2021 to July 30, 2021
As a HIP intern, you can expect to:
- Participate in an 8-week paid internship. Interns are paid $3200 upon program completion and work ~25 hours/week.
- Conduct biomedical science research alongside a scientist who is your day-to-day mentor and teacher. Examples of past research topics include: infectious disease, neuroscience, molecular biology, immunology, cancer, stem cell research, and developmental biology
- Develop science communication skills
- Build your professional network through interactions with scientists and others at UCSF
- Build community with a cohort of 25 High School Interns
- Participate in College Counseling supports including:
- Writing workshops to develop a personal statement for use in college applications
- Individual meetings with our college counselor to review transcripts and learn about colleges
- Financial aid information for you and your family
- College tours
To apply you must:
- Be a current junior in high school and
- Attend an SFUSD high school or
- Attend a charter school in San Francisco or
- Participate in SF or Oakland College Track
- Application due Friday, February 5, 2021
- February: HIP staff review applications
- March: Students selected for interviews
- April: Students selected for internship
- June: Program begins June 7th
It made me believe that I love science, no matter what, after doubting my talent in this field.
Who are we looking for?
If you can answer “YES” to any of these questions, this program might be for you!
Are you unsure about pursuing science in your future and you want to spend your summer learning more?
Will this provide an opportunity to you that you would not have access to otherwise?
Have you faced challenges that have prevented you from meeting some of your goals for yourself?
We aren’t just looking for students who have the best grades or have accomplished the most. In fact, we don’t ask you for your grades or GPA as part of your application. Instead, our objective is that your experience in this program is likely to make a difference in your life. We focus on potential and opportunity. In selecting students, we want to know that our program can make a meaningful and impactful difference in each student’s life.
*The 2021 High School Intern Program application is now closed*
**Please note these 4 required components of the application are due by Friday, February 5th at 6pm**
To apply you must be a current junior in high school and attend an SFUSD high school or attend a charter school in San Francisco or participate in SF or Oakland College Track
Submit your resume and essay with your electronic application. You’ll be able to upload both on the last page of the application. The maximum upload file size limit is 20 MB per document. PDF or DOC file formats are recommended.
Want support preparing your application? Join us for a virtual drop-in help session! Use the buttons below to register for one of our optional help sessions. Be sure to give us a personal (not school) email address so we can email you the zoom link. All help sessions take place from 4:30pm to 5:30pm on Zoom.
4. Letter of Recommendation
It is your responsibility to request a letter of recommendation from a person who can speak to your science interest. We take the letter of recommendation very seriously, so please consider carefully who you ask to write this letter for you. We want to know more about you, beyond what you tell us yourself, so the letter of recommendation can be a great place for your recommender to give us additional insight into who you are. We only require one letter of recommendation but will accept a second letter if you choose to submit two.
Offer this Guide for letter writer to the person you ask to write your letter. They should submit the letter directly to us. Letters must be submitted by the letter writer via email to Lakisha.email@example.com by the application deadline. Your application is not complete without it.