Applications are now open!
Apply by Sunday, February 12th, 2023. Instructions and link to apply below.
Information Sessions for SEP’s 2023 High School Programs:
Please click on the button to view a recording of our information session, a chance to hear more about SEP’s high school programs and see program details side by side.
Please note that these information sessions are for students from SFUSD, SF Charter Schools or SF College Track.
Teen Wellness Connection
UCSF SEP’s newest program, Teen Wellness Connection (TWC), fosters youth leadership and public health interest as students learn about health issues facing teens. Participants collaborate with UCSF scientists and health researchers to learn about the year’s chosen topic, then create a one-day health summit for other high school students. TWC is a 9-month-long program for a team of high school students, comprised of 5 Senior Leaders (rising seniors, program alumni) and 20 Junior Leaders (rising juniors). This team will work together to brainstorm effective means to relay health information to their peers under the guidance of SEP staff. In order to participate, students must be a rising junior and attend an SFUSD high school, SF Charter School, or participate in SF College Track.
As a Teen Leader, you can expect to:
- Receive a stipend of $2100.
- Help scientists and experts learn how to connect with you & your peers, and what health information is relevant to your lives.
- Build your professional network through interactions with scientists and others at UCSF.
- Develop your science communication skills.
- Learn how to effectively work in a group.
- Collaborate with UCSF health specialists to create engaging discussions, panels, and activities as part of the spring summit.
- Build community as a cohort of 25 high school student leaders.
Summer Intensive: July 17th – August 4th
- Learn about the health focus from UCSF scientists
- Develop connections with your high school teammates
- Brainstorm on the sub-topics within the health focus that are most interesting to you
School Year: September 2023 – April 2024
- Meet with the TWC team every other Wednesday for 2 hours between 4:30pm-7:00pm
- Serve on an organizing committee to plan the health conference. Choose your focus: organizing Speakers and Programming, Hospitality, Sponsors and Volunteers, or Outreach and Marketing.
- Host a day-long Teen Wellness Summit in the Spring for SF Unified School District students. Date and location chosen by the team during the Summer Intensive.
Topics for Teen Wellness Connection
The health focus will change each year and will be based on input from student participants. They’ll learn about an overarching health/wellness topic, then work in subcategory project teams to deepen their understanding.
- Year-long Topic for 2022-2023: Teen Mental Health
- Possible future topics: Substance Use, Sexuality and Gender, Racism and Health Disparities, and Healthy Relationships.
Who are we looking for?
If you can answer “YES” to any of these questions, this program might be for you!
Are you unsure about pursuing science in your future and you want to spend your summer learning more?
Will this provide an opportunity to you that you would not have access to otherwise?
Have you faced challenges that have prevented you from meeting some of your goals for yourself?
We aren’t just looking for students who have the best grades or have accomplished the most. In fact, we don’t ask you for your grades or GPA as part of your application. Instead, our objective is that your experience in this program is likely to make a difference in your life. We focus on potential and opportunity. In selecting students, we want to know that our program can make a meaningful and impactful difference in each student’s life.
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions for other details!
Have questions or want support preparing your application?
Join us for a virtual drop-in session! This session will take place on Zoom and you can join any time during the half hour. Use the button to the right to register for this optional session. Be sure to give us a personal (not school) email address so we can email you the zoom link.