For High School Teachers
As part of the Center for Cellular Construction, SEP offers a two-week workshop during which high school students and teacher teams work together on design challenges as they learn about cellular engineering. The new field of cellular engineering applies burgeoning knowledge of how cells (and systems of cells) are built, make decisions, and accomplish tasks to develop new cell-based technologies.
Teachers and students will:
- Understand cells as biological machines
- Combine engineering and computer science to understand cellular behavior
- Use robots to solve challenges similar to those faced by cells
- Program cells to solve real world problems
- Experience problem-based learning modules that integrate NGSS engineering practices and life sciences curriculum