For Elementary Teachers
With the support from the California Science Project, SEP leads summer institutes focusing on the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and Amplify Science, SFUSD’s adopted elementary science materials.
In the institutes teachers will:
- Learn about NGSS and Amplify Science curriculum approach and structure
- Experience model lessons, taught by SFUSD teachers that have piloted Amplify Science with their students
- Dive into the different kit components, including the online teacher guide, student readers, activity materials and investigative notebooks
- Deepen their knowledge of the scientific concepts addressed in their grade level science unit
For High School Teachers
As part of the Center for Cellular Construction, SEP offers a two-week workshop during which high school students and teacher teams work together on design challenges as they learn about cellular engineering. The new field of cellular engineering applies burgeoning knowledge of how cells (and systems of cells) are built, make decisions, and accomplish tasks to develop new cell-based technologies.
Teachers and students will:
- Understand cells as biological machines
- Combine engineering and computer science to understand cellular behavior
- Use robots to solve challenges similar to those faced by cells
- Program cells to solve real world problems
- Experience problem-based learning modules that integrate NGSS engineering practices and life sciences curriculum